March Catch Up

Blimey where has March gone! Half way through already and I've not blogged yet. The month started with Matt's birthday which meant me cooking a tea of pies. The main course pie was the fabulous Mushroom and Ale Pie from Vegan Village. I used Black Sheep for the stout. I've made this pie loads of times, it's pure comfort food.


For dessert I made these Chocolate Kahlua Pies from an old favourite recipe. These are really easy and are one of those desserts that people can't believe is vegan when they taste it. I made half the filling recipe which was just the right amount to fit in the six ready prepared Graham Cracker pie cases that came with my January UK Vegan Food Swap box from Rachel. If I recall correctly Rachel said they came form the magical sounding Kosher Kingdom in Golders Green.


Perhaps it wasn't the most healthy of teas but it was a treat and I've been really making an effort with my meals during the rest of the month cutting back on sugar. I've signed up with Viridian to take part in a two month Clear Skin trial. I'm taking two of their products daily - a capsule and an oil supplement and cooking at least one meal a day from the Clear Skin Cookbook by Dale Pinnock.


It's not a vegan cookery book but it does include some vegan recipes and I've really enjoyed the ones I've tried so far. Under the fruit is Dale's museli blend which consists of oats, brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds and walnuts which has become a firm favourite.


I've made the red pepper and sweet potato soup and also the spiced parsnip one in the picture below. This made a good quick tea with a toasted chunk of marmite granary bread from Bakerie Tasting Store and a sprinkling of sprouted seeds on the soup. I've also enjoyed a chickpea tagine and a sweet potato curry.


Today I sent off this months UK Vegan Food Swap parcel which reminds me that I haven't blogged about the one I received in February. I received my parcel from one of the To Happy Vegans organisers, Mitsu. Mitsu pulled off the feat of sending me a parcel full of things I hadn't tried before! I've polished off the caviar and the banana chocolate and I've used the speculoos spread in a banana toastie and in a smoothie. I'm saving the chocolate peanut butter sachet as we've got a couple of weddings coming up where we will be staying in hotels and I'll have to take emergency vegan rations! Do you have an favourite emergency rations you take away?



Comments

  1. My emergency vegan food is PB sachets too. I always pick up a stash when I'm in the US as they're perfect for a plane snack or to hide in your bag at a non vegan friendly event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so making those kahlua pies. They look insanely good (plus I've just been given a bottle of kahlua!)

    Stupid question, but how do you eat your granola? With yoghurt? I always like the idea of granola, but I'm a bit of a yoghurt-a-phobe, and I'm trying to find a cunning alternative. Milk of some sort?

    How's the trial working out? Have you noticed any difference yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big yoghurt fan either so I tend to have some kind of non-dairy milk and also add fresh fruit.I'm really into the Koko coconut milk at the moment (used to be called Cara. It's brilliant in porridge. http://www.kokodairyfree.com/about_us/
    As for the skin trial, I've still got another 5 weeks to go but no new spots whilst I've been on it and a little patch of exczema I've had under my eye for months has disappeared so I'm pretty pleased so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog! Good luck with the vegan rations at the wedding. We've got one coming up this summer, and we're taking the kids, so I've definitely got to do some planning. It's several hours away from home, so it's not like I can just feed them when we get home. Loved all the dishes you posted. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe