Vegan Life Issue 5

Issue 5 of Vegan Life has got one of the best covers so far in my opinion! It's an image of a delicious sandwich with lots more sandwich ideas inside. I've never been a big sandwich eater but I've been getting into them recently trying out things like Pulled Pork made with jack fruit and the amazing Tempeh Ruben from Vegan With A Vengeance. With the growing interest in veganism it's starting to feel like we're not too far away from some better vegan sandwich choices on the High Street too. Imagine the day when there's more on offer than boring hummus or roasted veg!

My favourite non food articles in the magazine were the interview with the band Martha and the £100 vegan city break. The writer of this article Liz Dodd has set herself a challenge to visit a different country for a weekend each month on a budget of £100. The article is about a trip to Sweden and I'm really hoping the magazine features more of her travels as this was a great read.


Of course an issue can't go by without me trying out a recipe and particularly a cake recipe. This Chocolate Courgette cake was a winner. It's easy to make and involves a large grated courgette. There's no frosting and the use of veg makes it sound a bit worthy but there's a fair wack of sugar and oil in this cake and it's pretty decadent tasting. The intense chocolately taste reminded me of the sort of dark chocolate flavour you get with Oreos. It barely lasted 24 hours in our house and went down well with our non vegan guest that weekend who asked for the recipe. The recipe is taken from a book called Greens 24/7 by Jessica Nadel. I've seen a sneak preview of the next issue and it looks like seitan will be involved. We've just started to make our own sausages and burgers using vital wheat gluten so I'm looking forward to learning more about this amazing 'wheat meat'.

As a Vegan Life blogger I get a free digital subscription but I actually like the magazine so much I've taken out a hard copy subscription. To find out more about various subscription packages or places you can buy the magazine have a look here. The current subscription offer gives you a free gift of three bottles of Choc Shot. I've just tried the new Coconut flavour one and it's excellent.

Comments

  1. I'm subscribed now too! Its a fab magazine. I also loved the article about £100 weekend away and hope there are more of these stories. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of the article on a £100 city break... does that include transport / accommodation?! If so that's an especially epic challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it included everything, such a cool idea.

      Delete
  3. Definitely behind the £100 thing too - budgets are all important right now and if I'm going to prioritise anything with my holiday spending it's going to be the food! I'm always surprised how much I like veggies in cakes too, so I'd be all over the courgette cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely. I made it again today for my mum's birthday. My niece and nephew who are 4 wolfed it down!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed your blog post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe