Salad Days

Do you remember a few weeks ago when I mentioned that I'd won a garden? Well it arrived last Friday. I got home very late due to a broken down train so I'm afraid I didn't open immediately and unpack as instructed. The instructions said to do this within 24 hours though so I was up at 7am on Saturday morning and on it!


The prize was one of these Window Box Gardens from Rocket Gardens and the plants arrive packed in damp straw.


It was like an exciting lucky dip going through the box and discovering the different layers.


The first task was to lay everything out, identify the plants and give the roots a dunk in a water bath.


The beetroot, dwarf beans and herbs (chives, parsley and basil) have all gone into pots whilst the leafy greens have their own bed.


There's rocket, various types of lettuces, mizuna and spinach. I posted a picture on Facebook and said how I was worried that the local cats might be tempted to use it as a litter tray like they have done on occasion with our raised flower bed. My friend Tams posted back a picture of her solution to the issue which was strategically placed chippy forks. A trip to the Pound Shop later and we had the same effect. I mentioned that I thought it looked like an art installation and I had to laugh when she called it Forks Over Knives'!


Yoga Kitchen finally went back to the library this week after I'd renewed it once. I made a few things before it was returned though. This mushroom ragu served on a baked sweet potato was one of the first things I'd bookmarked and it was really tasty. The mushrooms are cooked in coconut oil and the sauce is made from stock, tomato puree, fresh thyme and a small amount of raw cacao. I will definitely be making this again. The leftovers were great stirred through pasta the next day with some added spinach.


I made it for my sister when she came for a sleepover. Matt was away in Scotland all week and it was lovely to have her company. Dessert was also from the book and was Avocado and Lime Mousse topped with chopped pistachios. This was really easy to make with everything just going in a blender and then left to set for a couple of hours in the fridge.


We enjoyed the dessert with this vegan friendly and Fairtraided Moscato Rose from the Co-Op. It was only around 5% abv and cost £3.49. I don't drink much these days though I do like the odd glass of wine. I also like finding things that are lower in alcohol like this but still taste good!


This last dish from Yoga Kitchen was a masala dahl which took a bit longer to make as you make your own curry paste. It was served on a bed of brown rice and rocket and topped with Coconut Collaborative plain yoghurt and some homegrown alfalfa. I was especially glad to have leftovers of this the night of the train breakdown.


The curry theme continued over the weekend as I made a couple more to welcome Matt back from his week away. These were both from an Indian book I picked up in a charity shop recently that has some good veggie curry recipes in it. It's the first time I've tried any of them and I picked out this mushroom, pea and cashew nut one.


Alongside it was this fried spiced potato dish which was finished with fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander. I'd really like to get some more good vegan curry recipes. Has anyone got the Vegan Richa book? I'm thinking of getting it.


As soon as he got back Matt cracked open the Follow Your Heart vegan egg for this breakfast bagel. We are planning to have it again soon with an attempt at rice paper bacon. That's if I can track the rice paper wrappers down. I tried everywhere in China Town today with no luck.


Finally I got a lovely gift from Scotland. It's lemongrass bath salts and a matching candle and they smell gorgeous. Matt found this company called Purdies of Argyll and all their products are suitable for vegans. Check them out, it all sounds lovely and they do mail order too.


Comments

  1. The chip fork idea is genius! What a win, hope you get some nice food from that garden :)

    I have the Vegan Richa book and use it so much! I've never made a dud recipe from it. Even the ones I wasn't sure about (mango curry?) turned out so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forks are working well but I might need to get some netting to deter the snails I keep removing to other areas of the yard! Thank you for the feedback on the book, it is definitely going on my list now. Mango curry sounds great!

      Delete
    2. The forks are working well but I might need to get some netting to deter the snails I keep removing to other areas of the yard! Thank you for the feedback on the book, it is definitely going on my list now. Mango curry sounds great!

      Delete
  2. That little garden kit is cool and super cute! Love! My local Chinese superstore usually has rice paper wrappers but I've definitely seen them in Waitrose before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly we only have mini Waitrose's in Manchester. I did check there yesterday and they didn't have them. I've got a feeling our huge Tesco in Glossop has them so that's the next stop otherwise I'll be online. Fingers crossed, I'm dying to try it!

      Delete
  3. Oh how cool is that - a garden in the post! I LOVE Beetroot!

    Ohh the mushroom curry looked So nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am most excited for the beetroot. I love it too especially roasted.

      Delete
  4. That garden in the post is such a clever idea! If I had any outside space, I'd be following you all the way. The chip forks are very clever - never seen that before! What did you think of the vegan egg by the way? I"m tempted to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The egg is a great texture but pretty bland taste wise, you definitely need to season it up with salt and pepper and other stuff. We added fresh chopped chives yesterday which was good. The box was about £7 so it works out about 70p per 'egg' and one is enough for a serving.

      Delete
  5. That's so cool to get a garden in the mail! How fun to have your own lettuces and fresh herbs!! Man, the fresh herbs alone is such a money saver!
    I don't have Vegan Richa's book, but I have heard all good things, and I saw someone review it on YouTube, and she cooked a few recipes, and they looked AHMAZING!!
    I am a sucker for lemongrass anything! Bath salts sound amazing!
    I think I might try rice paper bacon today if I get brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We managed to get some rice paper so planning to try it tomorrow! Hope you have a go too :)

      Delete
  6. Winning a garden is so cool! Mine would never last- too many rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks. In fact I have to go out and buy a very bitter spray to put on my plants to stop them from eating them.

    Also I have the Vegan Richa cookbook and I TOTALLY recommend it. My Mom accidentally also got it for me for xmas so she kept her copy and loved it. I've made so many recipes (going to post a review on my blog in a few days) and they are super easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly the plants haven't been too bothered by wildlife. I keep going and checking a couple of times a day. I've had a few slugs and snails but they seem to be just keeping to the wild rocket at the back and leaving everything else alone. I just keep removing them to the wildflower bed. That's great to hear another vote for the Vegan Richa book and I will look forward to your post.

      Delete
  7. What a cute garden! If I won a garden, I'm afraid it probably would have diet in the box before I even got it home, I have a black thumb. Plants beware!

    I don't have Richa's Indian book, but it is on my list to get because everyone says it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just moved house and want to plant my own little veggie garden. The kit looks fairly easy and is super cute too :)
    The Vegan Richa book has been on my list for a little while. I've heard it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been impressed with the kit. They have various different ones too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe