Glossop Goings On!

A few weeks ago I posted this picture in a blog post. We'd been mourning the loss of One 17 Bakery and it's fantastic vegan baked goods and were pleased to see that this new venture was also going to feature them.


Glossop already has a reputation as a vegan friendly town with it's pub, The Globe, which has an all vegan food menu and some vegan drinks. There is also a vegan menu at Pico Lounge and some great vegan options at Ayubowan Sri Lankan restaurant. The People's Kitchen event every month at Glossop Labour Club also provides a budget friendly vegan community meal and we have a great health food shop in Peak of Health.


 I'm pleased to report that the Pie Parlour has been an amazing addition to the town. Pictured above are a few of the cakes we have sampled. There's an oreo cupcake and the slices are chocolate and mango cakes which are gluten free too. I do find vegan, gluten free baking can be hit and miss but Dianne the owner of the bakery really knows what she is doing with both vegan and GF baking. I have been hugely impressed with everything that I have sampled and also that she is constantly trying out new things.


This plate of pies we shared was a Homity Pie and a Caramalised Onion pie topped with a tofu lid. We've also sampled an amazing cheese and onion pie. This had gf pastry which blew my mind, it was so perfectly crisp. The bread in the picture is a GF french stick and the one in the picture below is GF focaccia with green and black olives and the new Scheese Feta. This was excellent for dunking in soup.


I was in London last week and Matt treated himself to a Foragers Pie which was made with mushrooms and wait for it...........a Mac and Cheese pie! As you can imagine this got lots of likes on the What Fat Vegans Eat Facebook group. If you're not on this group it's great and you see some amazing meals.


It's great to see the Pie Parlour teaming up with another small business too by selling chocolate by Cocoa-Nut Grove Cakes. Think big thick slabs of handmade chocolate studded with goodies and you get the picture.


In other exciting Glossop based news check out this graphic novel with an animal rights theme. Animus will be the second book published by Invisible Six; a new small publishing company, based in Glossop. Animus is a moving, gripping and sometimes humorous graphic novel with a strong theme of animal rights and respect for nature. It's written by SM Worsey and illustrated in striking black and white by Brian Gorman, whose other works include Everyman - The Story of Patrick McGoohan, and Borderliners: True Realities.

SM Worsey has completed the script and Brian is drawing a page a day. They need funding to finish the project and cover the print bill. There's a variety of perks available for funders, and they'll have the satisfaction of knowing they've helped get an exciting and ethically-motivated book out into the world.

Animus is a moving, gripping and sometimes humorous graphic novel about animals fighting back. A book full of love, rage and stunning art. Animus tells the story of a tough, determined female badger, who assembles a skilled team of animals in order to liberate other animals, save lives and exact revenge on cruel humans. The main characters include a fox, a beagle, a rabbit, a cat, an ex-racehorse and a raven. Animus don't seem like much, against the might of modern human society. But Animus isn’t in our society, they exist alongside it, with all the skills, determination and instinct they can muster. Animus is an exciting and moving story of love, teamwork and revenge."

Here's a link to the Crowdfunder page. Incentives range from invites to the launch party which I believe will be at the new V Revolution, copies of original artwork and even a chance to have an animal of your choosing included in the book. I know the writer of the book and they are a really inspiring, creative person who has done a lot for veganism and animals over the years. Please check out the crowdfunder and spread the word!

Comments

  1. I have never heard of mango cake, but it looks so moist and delicious! I have to admit I haven't had many GF baked goods that I enjoy. Especially sweets. I feel like they have a weird texture and also flavor. The savory pies looks AMAZING!!!
    Wow, Animus sounds amazing. Like a book that at points would be hard to read, but worth it.
    I will help spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mango cake was so good. I hope we can get it again soon. I've only had it once before from a cafe in Wales and I loved it then too. I need to find a recipe for it. Thanks for spreading the word about Animus. I can't wait to see the finished book!

      Delete
  2. The Pie Parlour looks like it's really paying out - what a cracking line up of pastry-based goods! Mac and cheese pie sounds pretty much like carb heaven. Animus sounds like a thoroughly worthwhile read, will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was away so missed out on the mac and cheese pie but looking forward to trying it when the shop has it on the pie menu again!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like The Pie Parlour is great place!

    I saw someone talking about Animus on Instagram just this morning, I will have to check it out.

    I had a mac and cheese pie when I was in Adelaide earlier this year and it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you when I saw it cos of your involvement with comic cons. I think there is also an art show in London at the moment of the same name so that may have been what's on instagram.

      Delete
  4. OMG, mac & cheese pie! And that foccacia looks amazing. You're right about gluten-free vegan baking being hit or miss though. It's always so awesome when you find a perfect xgfx vegan treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! I'm excited to see what combinations she comes up with next.

      Delete
  5. That graphic novel looks amazing! I wish I could just grab a copy (the downside of smaller publications)

    So many pies! I love seeing all the different pies that Brits make/eat. We really don't have that in the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely a nation of pie lovers especially in the North!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe