Nina's Popcorn Review

Whilst I am a big lover of crisps and nuts my favourite snack has got to be popcorn. So, when new company Nina's Popcorn asked if they could send me some bags to review I didn't hesitate to reply, yes please! Matt works from home so I don't get much time in the house on my own but when he has an evening gig there's nothing I like more than to stretch out on the sofa to watch a film with snacks to hand. Needless to say he didn't get a look in with this popcorn!


I decided to work my way through the savoury popcorn first. The lemony kale and pepper had a fun tinge of green to it. You can definitely taste the kale and there's a slight citrus tang and actually quite a bit of a kick from the black pepper. The pepper was a little too much for my palate to be honest. It's certainly a grown up popcorn maybe one to pair with a Bloody Mary as a bar snack.


The other savoury flavour in the range is Spicy Sriracha and Spirulina. I was a bit apprehensive about trying this one as my hyper sensitive cough reflex syndrome is super intolerant of chilli or anything with heat and can cause me a lot of discomfort. I nearly gave it away but I'm glad I didn't as the good news is that I tried this after started my new meds and had very little reaction. The meds suppress the cough reflex pretty well. This is amazing for me and I couldn't stop smiling. It's ten years since I've been able to eat anything with this kind of heat and believe me with was hot, hot, hot!

 The other two bags in the range are sweet rather than savoury and I have to say that these were my favourites. The Sweet Coconut, Himalayan Pink Salt and Maca had lovely buttery, maple, coconut flavours with just a hint of maltiness from the maca.


The absolute stand out flavour for me was the Cacao, Goji Berries and Pistachios. As with all of the range the popcorn is cooked in coconut oil. It's sweetened with maple syrup and I thought that this was a really inspired flavour combination where the tastes blended really well. The nuts also gave an interesting crunchy texture to the coating. I really liked that there were only healthy natural ingredients in the products and I would definitely buy them again. Hopefully they will become more widely available. At the moment you can buy them online as a taster pack or by the box from Nina's Popcorn and Yumbles.

Comments

  1. They sound tasty, and I love the design of the packaging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is really lovely. I hope I can find somewhere where I can buy single bags. I keep thinking about the cacao and pistachio one!

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I'm not usually a fan of popcorn, because I tend to get little bits caught in my throat and start coughing a lot, which doesn't really add to anyone's enjoyment of a film, but from the pretty packaging and your descriptions, I'm keen to give these a try! I'm glad you got to enjoy the spicy one for a change as well, that's good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe I could eat it! It felt like a real accomplishment.

      Delete
  3. Oh yum, these sound great. I love a good pack of popcorn, especially when it's an interesting flavour like these lot. I'd be all over the sriracha! And I know what you mean about having the house to yourself - having total ownership over the remote control makes me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I so want to order some but I know the 'taster' pack will not be enough ... so that leaves me with a choice of a 12 pack for £24 ... which one? The Cacao, goji berries and pistachios looks tempting but some does the Sweet coconut, himalayan pink salt & maca ... I will decide ... eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making homemade popcorn as the brands on sale do not cater to my tastes, but these I want to try esp the sriracha one that has peaked my interest - wonder if they will branch out to health stores.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe