My Vegan Wedding

Hello! I am still alive. I haven't blogged for such a long time but thought I would pop on for an update and to say hello. I do miss blogging sometimes so you never know I might just resurrect the blog. When I last posted I was just about to do a 5 day raw food course with Kate Magic. I had a great time and have just booked onto another 3 day course with her later in year.

Life is still throwing some health challenges my way. I have recently been diagnosed with asthma and am on daily meds for that and also vocal cord dysfunction. I'm going to be seeing a speech therapist for the vocal cord dysfunction in the hope that learning some breathing techniques can help lessen the attacks. I'm still dealing with chronic cough too and have come off morphine after a year and a half. Some days are better than others and the horrible fatigue I was getting is better in this warm weather at least and I'm feeling positive for the speech therapy. But let's get onto the good news ......

Matt and I got married last October at the People's History Museum and we had a vegan wedding.



Here's one of my favourite pictures from the day. We have just finished the wedding ceremony and are walking out and I've just spotted my friend Jude.


My dress was a grey cotton dress covered in tattoo style embroidery and my red shoes were from Beyond Skin via eBay and a £2 bargain. Under his suit Matt had an embroidered black cowboy shirt from the states and his blue Western Style suit was also an ebay bargain and came all the way from Las Vegas. We sourced vegan wines for the reception from Marks and Spencers and had Anandas Round Ups for wedding favours. The reception venue was the Mechanics Institute who did us an amazing cold buffet. We had been a bit worried about this aspect but we were delighted with what they came up with. 


Instead of a wedding cake we had a cake buffet made by Lisa from Lily and Dilly who was so helpful in helping us plan it. We also had jars of individually wrapped Elizabeth Shaw mints and raspberry ruffles to go with after dinner teas and coffee. We had quite a few children as guests and wanted to make sure they had a good time too so we arranged a room off the main hall and filled it with games and we also had pinatas filled with Swizzels Sweets.


Another exciting new chapter has opened in that I am involved in a community buy out of our town's beloved second hand bookstore. The owners wanted to retire so it's going to be run as a community co-op and we are planning to introduce an events programme. If you are ever in Glossop please come and visit George Street Community bookshop. We also have a vegan pub (The Globe), a fully vegan shop (Glossop Wholefoods) and a gf and vegan pie shop (The Pie Parlour)!

Comments

  1. Congratulations! Your wedding looks like it was perfectly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your red shoes so much, you look wonderful, you both do!!
    I'm so sorry about your health issues. But are you glad to be off morphine?
    That's so wonderful that the community bought the bookstore. Used bookstores are disappearing fast and we need them!!
    I also love the idea of a cake bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks H. I am glad to be off the morphine and am gradually feeling less tired so that's a positive. I think you would love the bookshop. We actually have a surplus of books at the moment with some duplicate titles on novels so we are thinking of offering them to our local food bank so they can also give out books as well as food parcels.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, and the evening do was a joy too" xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you guys could be there and we are using your present a lot :) x

      Delete
  4. You look gorgeous, I love your dress and your shoes. Congratulations! It sounds like an amazing wedding.

    A community run bookshop also sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. The bookshop is exciting, I'll try to post some more about it sometime.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations; your wedding sounds like such a wonderful day! And that's so awesome that you're helping keep the used bookstore open for the community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Everyone is really excited about the bookstore. WE are hoping to start doing author events and writing groups etc

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to both of you!!! Your wedding looks so wonderful, your outfits are amazing and YAY for vegan weddings! I'm sorry you're having to deal with so many health challenges but I'm glad that you have some diagnoses that you're feeling positive. The bookstore sounds SO COOL, I'm so excited that I have another reason to come back and visit now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jojo. Would love you guys to come and visit again. We have another vegan cafe opened since you were last here and the garden centre now does fab afternoon teas for a tenner!

      Delete
  7. So good to hear from you. Thanks for coming by too. I do remember you getting married, but again - Congratulations to you both. I am excited for you around the bookshop adventure - I love it and if I lived near, I would too be involved. Good luck with that. I am also sorry to read about your health challenges and hope you find a treatment that eases it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe