1847 The Vegetarian Bistro

I think 1847 bistro in Manchester opened around a year ago but it was only this week I finally got round to going. All the food is vegetarian or vegan and it's more of special occasion than every day kind of place. For this sort of meal I would usually have to venture out to Yorkshire on the train to the wonderful Dandelion and Burdock so it's a welcome addition to the city centre. I forgot to take a photo of the starter but it was deep fried cubes of salt and pepper tofu with wasabi and satay and soy sauces to dip it into. Very nice consistency to the tofu and not covered in chillis like salt and pepper stuff often is which was good news as chillis don't like me very much so it was nice not to have to spend ages picking them off!


The food was really nicely presented and the photos from my rubbish camera really don't  do the presentation justice. Here's our mains - above is Chestnut and Shallot Pie, celeriac puree, roasted beetroot wedges and scalloped potatoes with a drizzle of red wine gravy. Below is Beer battered tofu with fat chips and minted mushy peas. Both were lovely and portion sizes were just right, not too overfacing which was good as I wanted to try dessert. It's just the sort of upmarket comfort food that I love.


Oops, talking of dessert - I was too busy talking and eating to remember to photograph it! It consisted of a whole vanilla poached pear with ginger sponge and Gin and tonic cake with a cucumber and black pepper granita - that's what was in the shot glass. The pear was a bit too much on the subtle side but the sponge was lovely and I enjoyed the G&T cake. I'd heard mixed reviews about it and I'm not the biggest fan of gin but it worked for me and the granita was delicious.


The name 1847 comes from the year that the Vegetarian Society was founded in Manchester. In fact one of the people who kicked it all off was a Reverend Cowherd from my home town of Salford! We went on a Wednesday and it was busy throughout the night. I'll be keeping an eye on there menu changes and would definitely go back.

Comments

  1. Looks gorgeous, we went on my birthday, hubby took the day off work but didn't reckon on it shutting at 2pm! We got there just in time to see it shut so had a nice meal in Chinatown instead. We will make it down there though, thanks for this, yum! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe