Weekend Eats and Treats

 Had a bit of a mooch round the charity shops in Didsbury on Saturday afternoon. We went out late and didn't expect to find much so were pleased when Matt found a nice 50s snack tray and cocktail shaker and I got a top and bangle. We also popped into Marks and Spencer's Food and were surprised to find vegan friendly Bubble and Squeak! Not tried it yet, it's gone in the freezer but it will hopefully be the star of a cooked breakfast sometime soon. If anyone reading is not sure what Bubble and Squeak is, it's a lovely comfort food dish  made from leftovers. Check out Joey's recipe over on the blog Flicking the V's.


The reason for going in Mark's was to pick up some Indian starters to go with a Chicken Dansak recipe that I had veganised using some of the Chicken Style Seitan that I had leftover in the freezer made form the Vegan Diner recipe. This was Saturday night tea staying in with beer and the Olympics on tv.


Sunday saw a day of lovely food with family starting with a roast dinner with haggis at my mum's.


Tea at my sisters was one of our favourites - the Brooklyn Pad Thai from Vegan With A Vengeance. I forgot to take a picture but it was wonderful as always. We speed up the recipe by using ready cooked rice noodles and a bag of ready prepared stir fry mix for the veg. It was my sister's boyfriend's birthday a few weeks ago and I always make him a cake. The last few years it's been a carrot cake with a reaching a pinacle with the recreation of the Cake Wrecks Naked Mowhawk Baby Carrot Jockeys cake last year. This year I went for a change when I saw this Summer Peach and Amaretto cake over on Maple Spice blog. I frosted it with a simple frosting made from 2 cups of icing sugar, 3 tablespoons of vitalite and 2 tablespoons of amaretto. It turned out great.

Comments

  1. I love it when you find vegan food in expected quarters - I'm going to have to try the bubble cakes! I also didn't realise that amaretto was vegan (not quite sure why) which I am very, very happy to find out about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks amazing! I'm sitting at my computer waiting for lunch wishing I had a piece to eat. The Pad Thai sounds great. I haven't tried that recipe but now it's on my must make list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding new vegan foods in places like M&S! That cake looks delicious as does the sunday lunch at your mums.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe