Vegan Mofo 2015 Day 26- It’s cold and rainy and there’s a snow drift outside your door! What are you going to make using the ingredients that you have?


Back to my original theme today which was Carol Vorderman -  Accidental Vegan Hero, blogging about recipes from a series of Detox Recipe books that the television presenter and maths whizz put out with nutritionist Anita Bean in the noughties. The answer to the blog title question - Dahl with Sweet potatoes and Coconut from Carol Vorderman's Eat To Be Cellulite Recipes.



This was the first recipe I made from Carol and Anita's book - Eat To Beat Cellulite Recipes. I remember the first time I ate dahl was back in the mid nineties. My friend Tracey came over from Wales to visit me in Manchester and she cooked some dahl for us.  I remember it being a taste sensation! I love sweet potatoes and I love dahl so I was immediately drawn to this recipe.


I've had cooked lentils in coconut milk before - there's a nice coconut dahl recipe in the Tibits cookbook. Where this recipe differs from other recipes is that there is no oil at all. You cook the lentils with chopped onion, garlic and sweet potato in water and coconut milk for twenty minutes and right at the end you stir in the spice blend and some grated fresh ginger and chopped coriander. Easy peasy, nice and quick and yummy comfort food. This makes a nice meal on it's own with some steamed green veg or as an extra accompaniment to a wider meal of curries.

Comments

  1. ooh that dahl looks really good, interesting that there's no oil too. Gonna have to get my hands on that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I can't believe I've never thought of putting coconut milk in dahl! My pantry is going to be so ready for winter this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing. I like sweet potatoes with spicy things. I have to find this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious and hearty, perfect for a snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! Cooking it without the oil is a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of sweet potato in dahl, I have a feeling I'm going to be making a lot of dahls this winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dal so much, its comfort food for me. I do not have the Tibits cookbook and not sure if its one I'd purchase as I haven't been able to flick through its pages, so would you recommend it - does it have enough original recipes in it to onto my wish list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice book with beautiful design and photography with the recipes split by season.I got a review copy and everything I've made from I've. I would say though that it's maybe more of a book for a beginner veggie cook than someone as accomplished as yourself. I just looked and it's also £25 on Amazon so I would say you'd probably find other things of more interest for that price.

      Delete
  8. dal is definitely one of my favorite foods, and pretty much every recipe I've ever made has been yummy and satisfying. I quite sure that I've made dal more than once on a night when I just wanted to use what was in the pantry. Always a hit!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good snow day dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe