Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Honeycomb



For day of two of the week of sweet making I thought I'd have a go at something I haven't tried before - honeycomb! Incidentally  I noticed recently that Sainsburys sell little bags of honeycomb pieces in their cake decorating section that are vegan friendly. The recipe I used is this Lorraine Pascale one from the BBC Website. I just had to sub margarine for butter.


I must say it wasn't 100% successful. It did set but it was more of a toffee than a honeycomb although a nice tasting toffee at that. I think I didn't have the heat up high enough and I couldn't resist stirring a few times so I think it's likely to be my fault not that of the recipe. Oh well, it's an excuse to have another go!


9 comments:

  1. Yeah that still looks good to me too!

    In case you want to try again, Nigella's hokey pokey recipe is vegan and I tried it, it works. It doesn't have butter in, maybe that's where it went wrong? Hers is just syrup, sugar and bicarb if I remember rightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sal. I will check that one out. This one looked liked honeycomb but set as chewy toffee so wondered if that was down to the margarine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this before! I'm fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks tasty to me. I use to love honeycomb and will have to try and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspired me to give it a go. Mine is crispy but has a slightly odd after taste, probably need to adjust the bicarbonate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh- thanks for the tip on Sainsburys. I'd love to give homemade honeycomb a go though - did you have a thermometer or did you do it by eye?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It didn't ask for a thermometer just said to put the bicarb in after 5 minutes of boiling it. I've just bought a thermometer so should give it a go with that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i make it quite a lot (or used to before dissertations swallowed my life) and its a really unpredicatable thing to make - my recipe is syrup, sugar bicarb & marg i think - when it isnt so good (and sometimes when it is) its lovely crushed up and added to cake batter, makes a toffee sauce, think it goes especially well with peanut butter frosting x

    ReplyDelete