Easy Oreo Cupcakes


People usually bring sweets in work from their holidays but I decided to make oreo cupcakes with the vegan oreos I brought back. Sadly, the oreos in the UK are non vegan although you can buy imported ones for extortionate prices at places like Selfridges Food Hall. Alternatively, you could sub with bourbon biscuits. They went very quickly and the cupcake carrier caused a bit of a stir too!

Edit 2018- the company that I bought the carrier from 'The Craft Company' no longer sell this model but they have this 24 cupcake carrier for a good price. Also the good news is that in the years inbetween that most flavours of Oreo available here are now vegan.

This is not my original recipe. I have halved the recipe from one I found here which was originally from a PETA blog so I'm guessing it's ok to reproduce.


Oreo Cupcakes
Makes 20


2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup of cocoa
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 Tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda
3/4 cup of sunflower oil
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of coffee
1/8 cup cider vinegar


Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180c
Line the baking tin with cake liners


Sieve the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and bicarbonate of soda and stir well
Add the oil and vanilla and mix until just combined
Slowly add the coffee and stir for a few minutes
Add the vinegar and stir for 1 minute


Fill each liner 2/3 full
Bake for about 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean


Let cool fully before frosting


Oreo Crumble Frosting
1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
1/4 cup of vegan margarine
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
2 tablespoons of soy milk
6 crumbled oreos
More oreos to garnish if desired

Comments

  1. wow you've got one of those cupcake couriers... They look brilliant, I've wanted one for ages! Your cupcakes look delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it on Ebay last year from the people who make them and it was much cheaper, about £24. They had a website too but I can't find it on a Google search or on Ebay either. They are brilliant, expecially if you don't drive like me and are always transporting cakes on public transport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for bringing oreos back for me as requested - I'm going to have a go at making the cupcakes over the weekend. Lovely to see you at the Thirsty Scholar last night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe