Homemade Limoncello


I've already got some Strawberry Gin on the go and decided to try out something new with some of the vodka I brought back from my recent holiday.

I decided to go for Limoncello as I'd just got a load of reduced price unwaxed lemons. It's really easy and turned a gorgeous yellow colour straight away. The only thing I'm having problems with is sourcing some little bottles for decanting the liqueurs into for Christmas presents. Does anyone in the UK know of anywhere? Ikea don't seem to have anything small enough or Lakeland which were my first thoughts.


Limoncello

Recipe from the BBC website

5 unwaxed lemons

1 litre of vodka

750g of caster sugar

700ml of boiling water


Pare the zest from the lemons, making sure there is no white pith. Put the zest in a large sterilised lidded jar and pour over the vodka.

Shake the jar each day for a week

After a week, dissolve the sugar in the boiling water to make a syrup.

Leave the syrup to cool and then add to the vodka.

Leave for a few more weeks shaking regularly.


Comments

  1. mmmm yum. i think we should have a home brew cocktail evening; i've made lots of sloe gin this year (with and without spices) and J has his magic rum to bring. Strawberry gin sounds divine! Hope you are feeling better btw xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! oh, I could so drink this right now. Alas, I must go to work tonight. le sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post, but did you ever find some bottles? I just found some 16oz glass bottles on Amazon for my infused liquors.
    I'm going to have to add this one to the list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to definitely make this for my wedding next year. I want a yurt with a drinks area that will have both exotic teas and liqueurs. :) This looks fab. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe